Saturday, August 28, 2010

Raspberry Bars


We love raspberry jam! We usually eat it on sourdough toast in the morning for breakfast, but lately I've been thinking about doing more with that raspberry jam then just spreading it on toast. So, I browsed some recipes the other day, but ended up making up one of my own. Not that this same thing hasn't been made before, but I figured I'd base the recipe on that crumbly topping you make for a fruit crisp. Nothing compares to that buttery, crispy topping!
So, I got out what I had in the pantry (which is why I like this kind of recipe) and went to work.
They smelled soooo good while they were baking and they're WAY too hot to eat right out of the oven...trust me, I tried and I burned my tongue!

Truth be told, I made these on Saturday night so we could grab them on our way to church Sunday morning. They may not be the "healthiest" breakfast, but they do have oats AND whole wheat flour! Make these bars the day or evening before, let them cool then cut into squares and grab one in the morning for breakfast or pack them as a snack for your kiddos!

Raspberry Bars

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut in 1 in. cubes
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 jar (13 oz) Raspberry Jam (I used Bonne Maman Brand)
DIRECTIONS:
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9 by 13 in. pan with parchment paper, allowing sides to hang over (to easily lift out bars). Butter parchment paper then set aside. Measure ingredients and in a large food processor add flour, oats, brown sugar, salt & cinnamon. Pulse until combined then add in butter cubes; Pulse until small crumbs form.
Set aside 1 1/2 cups crumb mixture. Dump remaining crumb mixture onto bottom of buttered 9 by 13 pan. Press lightly. Open jam jar and heat in microwave for 20 seconds, just to soften the jam a little. Pour the jam onto the bottom crumb mixture and spread evenly. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cup crumb mix on top of jam. Bake in pre-heated oven for 20-25 min. Let cool completely in pan then lift out of pan using the extended parchment paper and place on cutting board. Cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails