I made these last week and they were a HIT with the whole family! I love watching my kids enjoy a meal that is wrapped in lettuce :) I served my coconut-lemongrass rice on the side and it was a great meal! I've been cooking like crazy the past couple of weeks and my creativity is coming back.
Been trying to hit the farmers markets and make meals with whats in season. Our garden is booming with zucchini, yellow squash, sugar snap peas, green beans, fresh basil and of course a lot of tomatoes!!
It's been awesome to not have to buy much produce at the store. I encourage you to go check out your farmers markets and create a meal with whats fresh & local!
Chicken Lettuce Wraps (serves 5-6) recipe adapted from HERE
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless/skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1/2 inch pieces (or use ground chicken)
- 1 head Bibb Lettuce or Iceberg Lettuce (look for bibb lettuce at your farmers market)
- 1 small can water chestnuts, diced (optional)
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 small zucchini, small dice
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews (optional)
- bean thread noodles, fried (optional)
STIR FRY SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves, fined minced
- 1 jalapeño, chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp. sirracha or other hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce (find it in Asian section at grocery store)
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the stir fry sauce and set aside.
Heat a Wok or large skillet to medium-high heat. Add some oil to the pan (I used canola) and cook the chicken with salt and pepper until done. Remove the chicken from pan and set aside. Add a little more oil and saute the carrot, zucchini, water chestnuts and green onion for about 4-5 minutes. Add the chicken back to the pan, pour in the stir fry sauce and cook until bubbly and thickened, about 5 minutes. Serve on top of lettuce leaves and sprinkle with roasted cashews. I fried up some Bean Thread Noodles to serve on top as well. My kids really like those! If you would like to have a "dipping sauce" for the lettuce wraps, here is a recipe below:
- 2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp. hot water
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 tsp. sesame oil