Sunday, June 6, 2010

Chewy Granola Bars



A few months back I decided that I was going to try making granola bars. We love granola bars in our house & with me being a busy mom and a runner, I like to snack on bars that will give me some good energy without being loaded down with too much fat or sugar. So I figured, what the heck, I'll give it a try! The first ones turned out a little dry, the second batch was better, but not quite what I was hoping for. Tonight I made a batch & they were really good! The kids were begging for one, so once they were cool enough I cut them up and gave them a little snack before bed! I'd love some suggestions on how these could be even better, so feel free to give me your input!!!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 Cups Old Fashioned Oats
  • 1 Cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 egg white, beaten until frothy
  • 1/2 Cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 3 Tbsp. honey
  • 1/4 Cup Natural Peanut Butter (try Sunflower Seed Butter if you have nut allergies)
  • 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
  • 1/2 Cup slivered Almonds, toasted
  • 1/4 Cup dried fruit (I use cranberries)
  • 1/4 Cup mini chocolate chips
  • (Optional) 1/4 Cup shredded Coconut
DIRECTIONS:
In a large bowl, mix together first 5 ingredients. In mixing bowl, beat egg white until frothy, then add next 4 ingredients. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, then add nuts, fruit, choc. chips and coconut. Combine together and pour into a greased 9 by 13 pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden edges.
Cool for at least an hour, then cut into bars. Makes 12-18 bars. Store in airtight container or separately in small ziploc bags (which make them easy to grab & go)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails