Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sweet Potato Hash. Breakfast for Dinner.



I was in the mood for breakfast last night.  It's not very often I make breakfast for dinner, but when I do, it goes over really well with my kids!  There's something about the smell of pancakes and bacon that is exciting and comforting.  Aside from the pancakes and bacon I wanted to make a hash with sweet potatoes.  Normally when you think of hash browns, you think of potatoes.  But I switched it up a bit and honestly, those sweet potatoes went really well with the bacon, eggs, and pancakes.  I served a heaping scoop of the hash browns and placed a fried egg on top.  I think next time I'll crumble the cooked bacon into the hash browns, because everything tastes better with bacon!
Honestly though, I think this recipe could be served along side a main dish, like pork tenderloin or even a flank steak.  You're not limited to make it just for breakfast!

Sweet Potato Hash {my recipe}


INGREDIENTS: {serves 4}

  • 2 medium to large sweet potatoes {the orange ones}
  • 1 shallot, sliced
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced about half way up
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
  • coarse salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
DIRECTIONS:
  Peel and cut sweet potatoes into a 1-inch dice.  Slice shallot and green onion.  In a large saute pan, heat oil and butter over medium heat.  Put shallot and green onion into pan and cook for about 1 minute.  Add the sweet potatoes in one even layer.  Season well with coarse salt and pepper.  Pat down evenly and allow to fry for about 5 minutes without stirring.  After 5 minutes, give them a little stir and let them cook for at least another 10-15 minutes, or until they begin to get nice and brown and crispy on the outside.   Add chopped parsley about one minute before the potatoes are finished.  Don't worry about the onions getting too dark...they actually taste good when they're crispy!  Once they have finished cooking, season with a little more salt to taste.  Serve immediately...Enjoy!

Diced up nice and small so they cook evenly and quickly

All in a single layer to get that golden brown crispy outside

starting to brown up...I had to resist stirring and let them brown

All crispy and golden brown


2 comments:

  1. I want to pin this...no link? Looks yummy, can't wait to try it out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lola, thank you for stopping by! It is a yummy & easy dish! I'm still trying to get the "pin it" button on my recipes, but if you just click on your "pin it" button, the link will pop up for you to pin. I hope this helps! I have my "pin it" saved at the top of my browser favorites, so it's right there for me to click on :) If that doesn't work, you can follow me on pinterest where I have a lot of my recipes saved! Have a great day! -Julie

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails