Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Avocado Hummus



Now I know that we can find just about any hummus we want in the stores these days, but there's something about homemade hummus that tastes so good!  I love the freshness of the garlic and the lemon juice.  My friend brought some avocado hummus over one day a while back and I've been thinking about it since.  She toasted some flatbread all nice and crispy to serve with the hummus. I've kind of made up my own recipe here, but I think it turned out pretty good.  That's Jaden's hand in the picture because he couldn't wait long enough for me to snap a shot!  

Avocado Hummus {my recipe}

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 {12 oz.} can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  •  juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 Tbsp. tahini {If you don't have this, it's fine to leave it out}
  • extra virgin olive oil, about 2-3 tablespoons
  • 2-3 ripe avocados
  • salt to taste, possibly about 1/2 tsp. or more
DIRECTIONS:
  In a food processor, pulse garbanzo beans and chopped garlic.  Blend well.  Add lemon juice, tahini, avocados, and salt to taste.  Blend until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.  With the food processor running, slowly drizzle a couple tablespoonfuls of olive oil until the hummus seems to be coming together nice and creamy.  Taste, season with more salt if needed, and pulse one last time.
Keeps well in the refrigerator too.  Serve with toasted flatbread chips, pita chips, or tortilla chips.

RECIPE FOR FLATBREAD CHIPS:

1/2 package flatbread {I get mine from Trader Joes}
olive oil
coarse salt

Cut flatbread into triangles.  Lay on a foil-lined baking sheet, brush with olive oil, and season with salt.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.  Turn over halfway through cooking to get evenly brown on both sides.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails