Monday, February 21, 2011

Stuffed Baked Potatoes



In trying to pull off dinner the other night, with very little to work with, I decided to stuff some baked potatoes.  Ever have one of those nights?  I do...very often!  Either I'm not in the mood to think of what to make or I just haven't been to the grocery store, so our options are limited.
Thankfully my sweet husband is NOT picky and he doesn't mind a good old sandwich or top ramen when I'm in a pinch.  Well, the baked potatoes actually worked really well and I'm not too sure why I haven't made them before.  I mean, stuffing a potato with cheese and broccoli and chicken...that's just one of the endless possibilities!  You could stuff any sort of combination of veggies to make a really great meal.  And honestly, it was a really satisfying meal!


Chicken, Broccoli, Cheddar Stuffed Potato {serves 2}


INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 large russet or baking potato
  • olive oil
  • coarse salt
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1-2 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into chunks {I used the breasts from a rotisserie chicken}
  • 1 cup broccoli, cut into tiny pieces and quickly steamed
  • salt and pepper 
DIRECTIONS:
To bake the potatoes, heat oven to 425 degrees.  Place potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet and drizzle with some olive oil.  Poke holes all around potatoes with a fork and then season with coarse salt.  Bake in oven for 1 hour or until soft.
Once potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut an oval circle on the top of each potato and scoop out the inside of the potatoes into a bowl.  Be sure to leave about 1/8-inch thickness around the potato so it doesn't break.  
Add the butter, sour cream, 1/4 cup cheese, cut up chicken, and broccoli to the bowl with the scooped out potato flesh.  Season with salt and pepper as desired and stir to combine.  With a spoon, scoop mixture back into potato shells.  Don't be afraid to mound those potatoes high.  
Put back in oven and bake for about 10 minutes more or until heated through.  Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese and serve.  

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya. Good for you for snapping a pic! I can't get dinner to the table fast enough...no time for pictures! I think that's why I'm mostly posting baking recipes. Well, that and I am not very good at floowing directions when I cook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...it's not always easy :)
    Sometimes my husband gets involved and takes the picture while I'm dishing everyone else's food up and sometimes I have every intention of getting a picture, but it just doesn't happen!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails