Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Lemon Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes



I hardly read the newspaper.  Mostly because of lack of time.  Anyway, on vacation this past weekend there were newspapers delivered to our door, so of course I picked one up and thumbed through it.  I came across the food section, which of course I automatically take interest in, and found two perfect recipes to make for a fun Valentines dinner.  These potatoes were very tasty!  At first I was a little hesitant to put lemon juice and zest in my mashed potatoes, but then I discovered that these weren't any ordinary mashed potato.  Surprisingly they were a hit with the kids too!  The picture above does not do them justice but take my word for it...they're delicious!  Oh, and I served them with steak, but I think they'd be great alongside chicken or fish too.

Lemon Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes 
{adapted from a recipe in the San Francisco Chronicle, Sunday Feb.13, 2011 edition}


INGREDIENTS: {serves 4-6}

  • 6-8 large yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks.
  • 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese, room temperature
  • 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 3 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 tsp. lemon zest
  • sea salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS:
  Cut potatoes into 2 inch chunks and place in large pot.  Cover potatoes with cold water, bring to boil, and reduce to a simmer.  Cook until a fork or knife goes through easily, about 15-20 minutes.  Drain; place back in warm pot, and mash with a potato masher.  Fold in the olive oil, mascarpone, butter, lemon juice and zest.  Taste and season with salt and pepper.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails