Saturday, February 26, 2011

Saturday Morning Biscuits



Breakfast has always been my favorite meal of the day.  I love the smell of bacon cooking, coffee brewing, and toast in the toaster.  This isn't always a reality in our home, but I do love it when we have a Saturday morning that I can get up and cook a big breakfast for my family.  Actually, what I really love is going out to breakfast, but cooking at home is usually a cheaper option!
This morning I decided on biscuits.  My son adores a good biscuit and he is always asking me to make them.  This recipe came from my tried and true cookbook JOY OF COOKING.  It's an easy recipe and produces a nice fluffy biscuit...absolutely delicious with some raspberry jam!  The one thing I liked about this recipe is that you don't need buttermilk, which I rarely have.  Be sure to handle the dough carefully, not pressing down hard when you roll it out.  Also, when using a biscuit cutter, be sure not to twist the cutter.  Just make one cut nice firm cut without twisting.

Rolled Biscuits {makes 10 biscuits}


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 6 Tbsp. chilled butter, cut into small chunks
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • melted butter to brush on biscuits before and after the bake
DIRECTIONS: 
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Be sure to sift flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together in a large bowl.  This really is a necessary step to be sure all of those ingredients are incorporated well.  Cut in the butter, using a pastry blender or your hands, until the size of small peas.  Make a well in the center and pour in all of the milk.  Stir just until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.  Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board.  Knead GENTLY and quickly, about 8 to 10 times.  Roll out with a lightly floured rolling pin, to between 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.  *I rolled mine to to 1/2 inch thick just to be sure I was going to get a nice tall biscuit.  Cut with a 2-3 inch biscuit cutter and place with sides touching on an ungreased baking sheet.  Brush tops with melted butter.  Bake until lightly browned, 12-15 minutes.  Brush with remaining melted butter and serve warm!
**To re-roll scraps, just use your hand to gently pat out dough.  I was able to use up all of my scraps in order to get 10 biscuits.**

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! These biscuits look yummy!
    ♥ Katrina

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails