Friday, April 2, 2010

Happy Good Friday! Shortbread Cookies


I can't even believe it's April 2nd already! I think what I'm most excited about is that today is the start of EASTER BREAK for my kids!!! Woo Hoo...just what I think we've all been waiting for in this house. This morning the boys got to go to work with daddy, so I took the opportunity to take Ella & Marley (our dog) for a walk on the beach. Everything was beautiful...coffee, bagel, warm sunshine and a happy little girl & dog. That is, all until we come walking up to the car and, in horror, walk up to find Ella's car door was left open for an HOUR...along with my purse & keys right inside for anyone to take! I couldn't BELIEVE that we were spared the devastation of having to walk home with no car, but also had a glimmer of hope that the little community & tourists of Pismo Beach aren't all that bad after all. WHEW!

Ok, so now on to some business....COOKIES!
I baked up some Easter Cookies for the kids to enjoy this weekend & wanted to share the recipe with you all. May you take some time this weekend to consider all of the blessings in your life!
Oh, and check back this weekend...I've got some good recipes planned!
~Julie

p.s. The pictures i've been taking are coming from my iPhone, so that's why they aren't that true to color. I'll be using a "real" camera to take pictures of upcoming recipes!


SHORTBREAD COOKIES


  • 2 sticks Butter (good quality & softenend)
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 1/2 Cups Flour
In electric mixer, combine butter & sugar.
Add vanilla, salt & flour. Stir until just combined.
Turn out onto Floured surface.
Roll out to 1/4 in thickness.
Place on baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 min. (or until very lightly browned)
Allow to cool fully on rack & frost if desired...

Here's the icing that I used.

Powdered Sugar Icing
  • 1 Cup SIFTED powedered sugar (I used organic & it turned out just as great!)
  • 1 Tbsp. light corn syrup
  • 1-2 Tbsp. water
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
  • Use more powered sugar for thicker consistency or more water for thinner.
Whisk all ing. together then seperate into smaller bowls for different colored icing.
I used Wilton's liquid food coloring...it really is the best!

Here's the dough...I wrapped in plastic & put in fridge for a couple hrs.
My little helper & the shapes she chose
The pink looks red in the picture, but it really was a pretty color!
Found some really cute spring colored sprinkles!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to learn from you! So excited about your blog!

    Drea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drea, your so sweet! I'd love to hear some of your yummy recipes too!

    ~J

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails