Monday, April 12, 2010

Chicken Enchilada Verde Casserole




Yesterday was a blistery, cold, rainy day and all I could think about was this casserole for some reason! My family isn't big on casseroles, but I love a good casserole every now and then! This particular recipe has been in the family for years and I won't repeat what my dad "nicknamed" it, but it's one of my all-time faves! I tweaked the recipe this time because I had been trying to figure out a way to get rid of the canned soups it called for..well this time I tried it without, made my own sauce and it was REALLY successful! Hope you give it a try & let me know what you think!

Chicken Enchilada Verde Casserole {family recipe}


INGREDIENTS: {Serves 10-12}
  • 3 half chicken breasts w/bone & skinned (or 4 boneless, skinless)
  • 1 dozen Corn Tortillas...cut in quarters
  • 8 oz Sharp Cheddar, shredded
  • 8 oz. Jack Cheese, shredded
  • (seems like a lot, you don't have to use all of it)
Sauce:
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 1/4 Cup flour
  • 1 Cup chicken broth, reserved from cooked chicken
  • 1 Cup Milk
  • 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
  • 1 small can diced green chiles
  • 26oz. jar Salsa Verde (I use Herdez brand, but it does have a kick, so if the kiddos don't like that, make sure you try to find a mild salsa)
DIRECTIONS:
*I bake my chicken in a baking dish, seasoned with salt & pepper, covered with foil in a 350 degree oven for 1 hr. 10 min. I turn the oven off & let it sit in oven for close to an hour. The chicken will just fall apart that way, so tender...try it! Shred chicken and reserve 1 Cup broth for sauce. Cut up tortillas into fourths and set aside, then shred cheese, set aside.
*For the sauce, melt butter on med-low heat in large saucepan. Whisk in flour to make a paste. Slowly add in chicken broth, while whisking to avoid clumps. Next whisk in milk & sour cream. Once sauce has come together, turn off heat, then add chiles & Salsa. Mix completely.
Now your ready to assemble. Spray a 9 by 13 baking dish. Layer half of tortillas, half Chicken, half Cheese, half Sauce. Repeat layers, ending with Sauce.
Bake in a pre-heated 325 degree oven for 1 1/2 hrs. or until golden & bubbly!
***This is a great dish for company or large gatherings & perfect to make ahead then pop in oven! *Serve with beans & salad

Just out of oven
Ingredients, ready to assemble




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails