Monday, January 23, 2012

No-knead French Bread. It's easy and delicious!!



We're getting ready to head to the snow!  The kids are super excited and I must admit, I'm excited to be in a cozy cabin with my family.  I'm scouring recipes so I can cook and bake up a storm while we're there, but I'm also looking forward to doing a little reading and just a whole lot of relaxing!

I had been craving fresh bread for a while now, then I found this recipe.  It was easy...no kneading required!!  These kind of recipes are right up my alley because I have yet to master bread-baking.
The kids LOVED this bread and if I hadn't hid the second loaf, I think they would have finished it all off in one night!  The bread is best eaten within 24 hours, but if you need to store a loaf, it should keep for up to 5 days loosely wrapped in foil.  I think this would make delicious french toast :)




No-Knead French Bread {recipe slightly adapted from How Mom Did It }


INGREDIENTS: {Makes 2 loaves}

  • 1 packet perfect rise yeast
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water {not hot}
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 4 cups all purpose flour
DIRECTIONS:
  In a large bowl add the yeast and warm water.  Be sure the water is not too hot...you should be able to put your finger in the water without having to pull it out.  Add the sugar and oil and gently stir.  Let the mixture rest for about 5 minutes until the yeast begins to grow.  The mixture will become bubbly, but be patient, it will not become bubbly right away.  If it doesn't get bubbly at all, then either the yeast is bad or the water is too hot.  
Add the salt and flour; stir well with a large wooden spoon.  Cover the bowl with a lightweight towel.  Set a timer for 10 minutes.  When the 10 minutes is over, stir the mixture down with the spoon.  Do this 5 times in all {wait 10 minutes, then stir, etc..}.  Divide the dough in half and let sit for 10 minutes on a lightly floured counter or board.  
Roll out and roll up like a jelly roll.  Put the loaves on a greased cookie sheet {I was able to put both loaves length-wise on my large jelly roll pan} and score the loaves with a knife.  
Let rise for 1 1/2 hours covered with a lightweight towel.  
Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes, or until light golden brown on top.  Thump it with your finger, if it sounds hollow it's done!  Immediately brush the tops with melted butter.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yummy! I need to dig out my no-knead bread cookbook and get baking! Thanks for your sweet words of condolence. xo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails