Monday, February 15, 2021

Carne Asada

I had intended to publish this back in April of 2020... Life has somewhat stayed the same but also changed a lot since then! I am just now getting around to publishing it, but this is what I wrote back then...


Hello! It’s been quite some time since I’ve been on this blog and here we are in April of 2020 living in a time we never could have imagined. Our city has been on stay at home order since March 16th and life as we know has come to a halt. School is officially not going back the rest of the year. Sad but unfortunately necessary. 
The first few weeks of stay at home I was in a complete fog. It was rainy, cold and all I wanted to do was bake and eat comfort foods. I think it was a sort of survival mode for me. Now that a month has gone by and the weather has turned to warm and sunny, I’m ready to eat a little cleaner. Working out just isn’t enough to make me feel better. For me it’s just as much what I put in my body as it is how I keep my body moving. Our dogs sure are enjoying watching me workout at home and of course our daily walks!!
Ok, so on to the recipe! My teenage boys love red meat. Can’t get enough of it! I usually buy carne Asada that is already marinated, but lately all I can get is the cut of meat. Carne Asada is a flap meat, very similar to flank steak but usually a little thinner.
It’s simple to marinade and super quick to grill.
*We like to serve with corn tortillas, cilantro, onions, chopped cabbage, avocado, tapatio, a squeeze of fresh lime and some cilantro lime rice and beans as a side dish.
 If we have leftovers the kids usually make nachos or a rice bowl.










Carne Asada:

2-3 lbs carne Asada OR Flank steak

Marinade:
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1-2 oranges, juiced
2 limes, juiced
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 shallots, diced
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 jalapeƱo, chopped
1/2 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Chile powder
A dash of Cayenne, optional
Kosher salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients in bowl. 
Place meat in ziploc bag or marinade container. Add marinade and rub a little with hands.
Allow to marinate for at least a couple of hours or longer if you have time!

Heat grill to Medium high. Take meat out of marinade and place on grill. Cook about 4-5 min then flip and cook another 4-5 min. Internal temperature should be around 160 degrees.
Allow to rest on cutting board for about 5-10 min before cutting.
It’s important to slice the Carne Asada against the grain in small strips then cut into chunks.
Serve with corn or flour tortillas, any toppings you like and a squeeze of lime!
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails