Friday, January 30, 2015

Power Spinach Salad with Chicken and Farro


It seems unreal that I'm back here.  It's probably been like 2 years, I don't even know!  All I know is that my passion for food and cooking has never gone away, life has just taken the front seat.  Now that my children are 13, 12 and 9, I find myself in the car most of the day dropping off, picking up, waiting in line, etc.  Which means my time in the kitchen is quick and to the point most nights.   No time for pictures, or writing down recipes, it's all quick and off the top of my head.
Anyway, I figure it's a new year and a new opportunity to get back to what I love...sharing my recipes and ideas with anyone who wants to listen.  Who knows, maybe I'll surprise myself and do this once a week :)
A few weeks back I decided to do my bi-annual detox meal plan.  Pretty much it consists of low-carb, no sugar, no alcohol, low-fat, high "good for you" foods :)
I stuck with it for about 14 days.  It always feels good to cut out sugar.  I don't know why I crave it so, but when I do without for 14 days, I actually enjoy not having it!!
This was a salad I made myself for lunch during my detox.  It was more than satisfying and I felt so good about myself while eating it!  I cooked the chicken and the farro the day before, so it was very, very simple to throw together.
If your unfamiliar with Farro, I suggest you give it a try.  You can find it just about anywhere now...I found mine at Trader Joe's.  It's a grain that is nutty and satisfying.  It has about 7 grams of protein per serving and I believe (don't quote me) that it's a low-gluten food.  It's not gluten free, but has less gluten than wheat.  You can serve it as you would rice, you can add to soups, you can use it cold in salads, or you can eat it for breakfast like you would oatmeal.  It may be good mixed in some yogurt!

Here's my take on a power salad, hope you enjoy!

POWER SPINACH SALAD WITH CHICKEN and FARRO (serves 1 )

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken 
  • 1/2 cup farro, cooked according to package directions (I cooked mine in chicken broth)
  • avocado slices
  • grape tomatoes, sliced in half
  • cucumber sliced, about 1/4 cup
  • canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 Tbsp. crumbled feta
  • 2 cups fresh baby spinach
  • half fresh lemon
  • 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • salt and pepper
Directions:
  Place the spinach in a bowl or on a plate.  Pile up all ingredients over spinach except lemon, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.  In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.  Squeeze in some of the lemon juice.  Pour a small amount over salad and stir.  Use more dressing if desired.  
Enjoy!!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails