Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies


I feel a little like a slacker with this whole blogging thing!  I'm not sure what happened, but if I let a little more than a couple of weeks pass without blogging, then I almost forget about it altogether!
I've made some fun, yummy recipes in the past few weeks, but have not remembered to snap a pic or jot down the recipe.
Can you believe it's nearing the end of the school year already?  I remember thinking the school year was soooo incredibly long when I was little, and now it's either a holiday, inservice day, or some "day off" every time I turn around!  If I was in charge {which I'm not}, I'd get rid of some of those silly days off and shorten the length of the school year so the kids have more summer!!  My kids can't wait for summer and honestly, I'm looking forward to a change of pace as well.  I'm sure it will be here before I know it!

I usually seem to start out really strong at the beginning of the school year with making breakfast for my kids.  Then around this time of year, I'm throwing out granola bars or cereal in a hurry...no planning whatsoever!  So this morning I decided to make these breakfast cookies.  They have very few ingredients and are really healthy.  I added a little powdered sugar glaze to make my kids feel like they were worth eating :) I got the thumbs up from my pickiest little breakfast eater and from my husband!
Try these...they were delicious!


Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies {recipe slightly adapted from Perry's Plate }


INGREDIENTS:  {makes about 12 cookies}

  • 1 cup flour {I used all-purpose flour}
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 2 tsp. flaxseed
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • scant 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  • 1/3 cup chopped nuts {I used pecans}
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed just until melted
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup real maple syrup
  • 3 Tbsp. brown rice syrup *if you don't have brown rice syrup, just add a few more tbsp. of maple syrup
DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.  
In a large bowl combine the flour, oats, flaxseed, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.  Whisk to combine. Add nuts and carrots to dry ingredients.  Mix well.

In a small saucepan, heat coconut oil and butter over low heat just until melted.  Add maple syrup and brown rice syrup to the pan. Pour wet ingredients into the dry and stir until well combined.  

Drop by 2-tablespoonfuls on prepared baking sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are barely golden brown.  I shaped the cookies a little with my hand to make them nice and tight and round.
**To make the powdered sugar glaze: whisk 1/2 cup powdered sugar and about 2 tsp. of milk until the consistency becomes easy to drizzle.  Use more or less milk to adjust thickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails