Sunday, February 5, 2012

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies



Came home from church this morning with a desire to bake!  I was in the mood for cookies, but something a little healthy.  Then, I figured I'd make some soft pretzels for my boys.  I've come to realize that homemade pretzels really aren't too difficult to make.  I have one pretzel recipe on here already, but I'll blog about the other one soon!
Back to the cookies...I found this cute blog Food, Love & Life who had the recipe for my inspiration.  I do have an oatmeal peanut butter cookie recipe on here already, but this one is a tad on the healthier side...But it doesn't disappoint, trust me!!!
Her recipes look amazing and healthy too!  Anyway, the original recipe is a bar recipe, but I was in the mood for cookies, so that's what I made.  She also uses flax meal + water instead of egg, which I would really like to try sometime!  I've heard it works as a great egg substitute!!
Now that my baking is done for the day, I think I'll put my feet up and possibly even watch some football with my boys :)

OATMEAL, PEANUT BUTTER, CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
 {recipe adapted from Food, Love & Life }


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup brown rice syrup {if you don't have this, just increase brown sugar to 3/4 cup}
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter {I used TJ's natural creamy peanut butter}
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 cup white whole-wheat flour {I get it from TJ's}
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup chocolate chips 
  • 1/4 cup shredded coconut, optional
DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment.
  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter, brown sugar and brown rice syrup until fluffy.  Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until thoroughly combined.  In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the flour, oats and baking soda.  Slowly pour into the mixer and beat until blended.  Remove bowl from mixer and stir in the chocolate chips and coconut.  
Scoop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart and bake for approx. 10-12 minutes, or until light golden brown.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails