Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Bacon and Mushroom Risotto with baby Spinach


Hello out there!  I haven't been updating my blog at all, but I have been cooking!  Life is just getting busier as baseball is officially beginning.  Didn't you just FINISH baseball season?? you might ask... well, yes about 3 months ago!  But, my boys are geared up and ready for another fun season!!!  I guess I'm ready too, but I'm going to have to get a little more creative with my meals.  My mind just can't go there yet...

Anyway, I made this dish for dinner tonight and it is SO worth every minute of the stirring!!  I got this recipe from my sweet friend and I must say, it's going to become a new favorite in our home.  It's got everything you need for a perfect one-dish meal.  Round it out with a little salad and bread and your good to go!

Bacon and Mushroom Risotto with baby Spinach { original recipe: Cooking Light }


INGREDIENTS: {Serves 5}
  • 4 cups Chicken Stock
  • 6 bacon slices, chopped
  • 1 cup shallots, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
  • 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced {I didn't have these, so I left them out}
  • 4 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 cup uncooked Arborio Rice
  • 1/3 cup dry sherry
  • 4 cups baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup grated fresh asiago cheese {I used romano and parmesan}
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS:
    Bring stock to a simmer in a saucepan; keep warm over low heat.  Heat a large dutch oven over medium heat.  Add bacon to pan, cook 8 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally.  Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon.  Pour out all but 2 Tbsp. of bacon drippings.  Add olive oil, shallots, thyme, and garlic to bacon drippings in pan; cook 6 minutes.  Stir in mushrooms and cook 8 minutes.  Add rice and cook 1 minute stirring constantly.  Stir in sherry and cook until almost all of the liquid is absorbed.  Stir in 1 Cup of stock.  Cook 4 minutes or until it is almost all absorbed.  Add the remaining stock, 1/2 Cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion is absorbed before adding the next (takes about 30 minutes total).  Stir in spinach.  Remove from heat and stir in cheese, salt, and pepper to taste.  Sprinkle with bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails