Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Black-eyed Pea Salad



My best friend turned me on to this salad!  She made it for me a couple of years ago on the 4th of July and it's been a big hit since!  I usually only make it in the summer...it's a great appetizer at a BBQ or could even be served as an accompaniment to grilled chicken or steak.  You can even play with the flavors to make it a little spicier if you like!


Black-Eyed Pea Salad  

INGREDIENTS:
  •  2 C. cooked black-eyed peas
  •  1 C. whole kernel corn
  •  1 stalk celery, chopped
  •  1-2 serrano chiles, seeded and diced {depending on how much of a kick you like}
  •  1/4 cup red onion, chopped {I used a little less than 1/4 cup...I don't like a lot of onion}
  •  1 small tomato, chopped
  •  1 avocado, chopped

Dressing:
  •  1/2 cup vinegar {I used 1/4 cup white vinegar & 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar}
  •  3/4 cup olive oil
  •  1-2 Tbsp. fresh basil
  •  1 garlic clove, minced
  •  1 Tbsp. sugar
  •  pinch {or two} of red chili flakes
  •  juice of 1 lime
  •  salt to taste

DIRECTIONS:
 *Mix first 8 ingredients together.  In a separate bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over salad.  Can be made night before or fresh.  
*Serve with tortilla chips

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails