Friday, April 8, 2011

Grilled Stuffed Chicken Breasts Wrapped in Prosciutto


I buy a lot of food magazines.  Not as many as I used to buy, but definitely more than I can keep up with.  I'll usually scour through them really quick, pick out a couple of recipes that I like, then put it away with great plans to make something from the magazine later.  Well, months go by and I'll forget about the magazine and it will just pile up along with the other ones!
So recently I've been determined to either try the recipes from the magazines that I buy, or throw the magazines away.  The other day I picked up a really good Fine Cooking Grilling magazine {from last year} and found this recipe.  It looked very easy, with simple ingredients, so I tried it out on family and friends!  They're always my guinea pigs and they usually tell me the truth about the recipe.
It turned out to be a keeper!

Grilled Stuffed Chicken Breasts Wrapped in Prosciutto 
{adapted from Fine Cooking, Grilling 2010}


INGREDIENTS: {serves 4}

  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts halves 
  • 8-10 large fresh basil leaves
  • 1/4 lb. fontina cheese, cut into 4 long sticks
  • 4 Tbsp. mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 4 thin slices prosciutto
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS:
  I prepared these chicken breasts much earlier in the day and kept them in the refrigerator in a glass dish covered with plastic wrap.  
To prepare the chicken breasts, cut through each one horizontally almost all the way through and open like a book.  Sprinkle the chicken all over with 1/2  tsp. each salt and pepper.  Layer 2-3 basil leaves, one stick of fontina, and one Tbsp. mozzarella evenly on half of each breast and then fold it closed.  Wrap a slice of prosciutto around each breast to hold it closed and then brush lightly on both sides with the olive oil.  
When ready to grill, heat grill to medium high.  Reduce the heat on the gas grill to medium and grill the chichi breasts, covered, until they are well marked, about 4 minutes.  Flip and cook, turning every few minutes, until the chicken is just firm to the touch, about another 10-12 minutes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails