Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Fresh Tomato-Leek Soup


Somehow I've had a little more time this week than normal...that's why the recipes just keep comin'!
I've been in the kitchen A LOT this week and it's been fun!  One of my friends supplied me with some beautiful tomatoes from her garden and I had already planned on making a tomato soup this week...she must have read my mind!  When trying new recipes as often as I do, there are usually quite a few flops in between the successes, but I think I've been on a roll because my kids are even giving me the thumbs up!
I always feel like it's been a successful dinner when my kids are asking for more {even when there's brownies for dessert}!
I highly suggest using fresh tomatoes, but if you don't have them, the canned ones will totally work great!  If you can, try to find "no salt added" tomatoes.
Also, I didn't peel the tomatoes because I knew I was going to puree it in the blender.  We have one of those Vita-mix blenders which will puree anything!  You could use a hand-held {immersion} blender, a food processor or a blender.  Any way you choose, it's going to come out great!  Be sure to make the crispy leeks too..they add a really fun touch and they are very addicting!  I combined a couple different recipes to come up with this one.  The first one I found here and the other one was from Barefoot Contessa's Back to Basic's.  Oh, and I'd LOVE some feedback if you happen to try any of these recipes!  Sometimes these blogs make me feel like I'm talking to myself...well, that's been known to happen, but seriously, holler back if you have suggestions or comments!

Fresh Tomato-Leek Soup {serves 4}


INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 Tbsp. butter, plus 1 tsp. {divided}
  • 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil {divided}
  • 10 medium tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 leeks {1 thinly sliced into half moons and 1 thinly sliced lengthwise, only up to the light green part}
  • 3 garlic cloves, smashed
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
  • 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS:
  In a large stock pot, melt 1 Tbsp. butter and 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium-low heat.  Add the sliced half moons of leeks and smashed garlic.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened {not browned}, about 5 minutes.  Add tomatoes, chicken stock, half and half, sugar, red pepper, salt, pepper and basil.  Bring to boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes.  Transfer soup to blender {carefully} and puree until smooth.  Season with more salt and pepper to taste.  **Garnish with crispy leeks!

Crispy Leeks:
*In a medium saucepan, heat the remaining 1 tsp. butter and 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat.  Add the remaining leeks {the ones sliced lengthwise} and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crispy.



Only slice the leeks half way up {don't use the dark green part}

Ready for the blender





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails